The Photon Factory Forum

Community forum for feedback and sharing of data for projects like the USB PlasmaTrim.

Color freeze

Find a bug and want it to be squashed? let us know the exact steps to failure and we'll see what we can do about it. Your patience, as always is appreciated!

Color freeze

Postby Hektek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:15 am

I've got 6 plugged in to timers so they run about six hours a day, and have been working well for more than a month. But as of yesterday one has been locking up. It is running the same sequence as 3 others. I've swapped USB ports on the AC adapter to rule that out. After about a minute the sequence locks, and with weird colors. The program is all blues and whites, but when it crashes it holds yellows, reds or greens. It is not doing any full power full white looks that I know can crash it. I've re loaded the sequence to make sure the file wasn't corrupted, and it ran ok for a few minutes then crapped out again.
Hektek

Project Backer

Re: Color freeze

Postby glohawk » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:55 pm

We'd be happy to replace the malfunctioning unit for you right away. If you try bringing the brightness on that unit to around half (with the global brightness slider in the software) does it run longer? We're still trying to isolate what the exact problem is with this, but it seems related to how much total power is being consumed.
glohawk

Factory Worker

Postby Hektek » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Yes, reducing the brightness did help. It's been running fine for an hour or so. I guess it the minor variations in each unit that allows the others to run fine but this one lock up.
Hektek

Project Backer

Postby Hektek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:10 am

Turns out I had to turn it down to 20% to get it to keep running.
Hektek

Project Backer

Postby glohawk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 am

Sounds problematic for sure. We'd be happy to swap that unit out for you!
glohawk

Factory Worker

Postby leightong » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:02 am

Hi guys,
My first post here so hello!
I'm having a similar issue with my plasmatrim.
I noticed it had stopped running through the sequence automatically, so removed it from the back of my monitors and noticed that the third LED was only showing purple and red.
I removed the usb cable, waited, then plugged it back in and the sequencing seems to be working again, but the one LED is still 'stuck'.
My question is regarding the 'Global brightness slider' as I'd like try that out, but for the life of me I cannot locate it on the Sequence creator software v1.11. Am I doing something wrong, or being dumb here? All I can see are three sliders, RGB.

*EDIT*
Ok, so now I moved the PlasmaTrim to underneath my monitors (so I could troubleshoot the colour issue), and after about 15 minutes it's working fine again. I wonder if it was a heat issue?
I'd still like to know how to adjust Global brightness though :)
leightong

Return to Bug Reports