The Photon Factory Forum

Community forum for feedback and sharing of data for projects like the USB PlasmaTrim.

TV background lighting

Share some photos of your PlasmaTrim! We want to see what you've done, and your creativity can inspire others as well!

TV background lighting

Postby Loewe88 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi,

I received my plasmatrim today. I "installed" one behind my TV screen for background lighting controlled via a raspberry pi. Works perfect :)

The raspberry pi can also power and control two plasmatrims with only one standard cellphone charger as power supply.
Attachments
plasmatrim_rasp.jpg
plasmatrim_rasp.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Loewe88

Project Backer

Re: TV background lighting

Postby cocide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Very cool. Ya the RasPi would be a great platform to use for them.

Have you tried going up to full brightness w/ all the LEDs on white and compared that to the unit looks when powered by a different device? I ask because the RasPi has a hardware current limit on its USB ports and I am pretty sure it is much lower than what a PlasmaTrim wants for full power.

Also, software wise, how are you controlling them?
If PlasmaTrims were super cheap I would be playing snake on a 32 PlasmaTrim square by now.... over wifi.... from my phone and/or N64 controller.
cocide

Photon Wrangler

Postby Loewe88 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:56 am

If you compare it directly you see a little difference. The direct powered Unit is a brighter than the RasPi powered one.

To control die PT I connect currently via ssh and use your CLI, which works very well.
Loewe88

Project Backer

Postby cocide » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:51 am

Well, its great to know that it won't cause the PlasmaTrim to do funny things due to a lack of power. In my opinion being a little less bright is not really a problem - these things are blindingly bright, when I have been working with them I keep them at 1%.

I'm also glad to hear that someone is finding my work useful. Make sure to check back for updates every now and then, it is still very young and a work in progress. I'm sure you're not the only person who will want to do things over the network, I might look into doing some kinda network based daemon to allow remote control over some open protocol....
If PlasmaTrims were super cheap I would be playing snake on a 32 PlasmaTrim square by now.... over wifi.... from my phone and/or N64 controller.
cocide

Photon Wrangler

Next

Return to PlasmaTrim in Action!